Saturday, October 22, 2005

Art/Worship Journal

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Some time ago, I happened upon Greta's blog and have really been enjoying it. She is a sister both in Christ AND scrapbooking! A couple of weeks ago, she discussed how she and some friends get together once a week and work on their art and worship journals. She says,
"we all had a passion to explore our creative interests and offer them as a form
of worship to god."
I love that! Perhaps, that's is because that is where my heart is also with the visual worship images I create for my church's services.

Anyway, they pick a word each week and each do an individual word study as to what the bible says about it. Then they create something to express this. Then they come together and discuss it. What a neat concept of a bible study! This week Greta let me (and anyone else who reads her blog) in on it and shared that this week's word was "control." I have enjoyed studying this word in the bible this week during my personal quiet time and it has given me much to think about.

When it came time to creating something, I really felt stretched to figure out how to visually represent what I have learned, but I plowed forward and you see the result here. I think Romans 8:6 makes a really important point here. It says,
"If your sinful nature controls your mind, there is death. But if the Holy
Spirit controls your mind, there is life and peace."
What we all have to realize is that no matter what something controls us. We can choose to allow God's Spirit to control us which will bring us life and peace. If we don't consciously make that choice, or choose to try to be in control ourselves, then sin is what actually is in control. We need to daily be making the choice as to who is in control. Neglecting to make a choice is the same as choosing sin.

The plumb line at the right of my image represents God. He is what is straight and true no matter what is going on and what chaos surrounds me. I have listed a "line of control" down the side of this plumb line to remind me of the order of authority as set forth in scripture. At the same time that something controls me, I too, am put in authority (control) of things. For me, it is my home/household and my children.

Greta said she will be posting all of the journal pages that were shared with her in her blog soon. It will be fun and interesting to see what others have done with this.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

hello trish, my name is tiffany and this is the first time i have been and posted on your blog.

however, i am a member of art & soul and one of g's best buddies so i had to link over to see your blog.

your page was awesome and to my surprise you picked the exact same verse i did. cool! great minds must think alike.

thank you for participating in this fabulous creative way to share Christ's love.

tiffany