Monday, August 29, 2005

Trading in "Good" for "Great"

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Clutter!
Anyone who knows me well, knows that I have packrat tendencies and I battle clutter in my life. I have many creative interests and with each of these comes stuff. Stuff that I feel that I cannot part with. A session of decluttering is mentally exhausting for me. Some of you reading this can relate to this - I know I an not completely alone with this. Others out there are pitchers. You find joy in tossing things out and living a sparse life. If this is you, bear with me here. Some of this may still speak to you.

This morning as I was pouring myself out to the Lord, I was asking Him to create some clear space in my life. I am craving clear uncluttered space in my life not only in my physical space, but in my mind, as well. I feel like I cannot think straight because there is just too much. I am surrounded by distractions. I asked God to show me what needs to be cleared away. He spoke to me first of the obvious:
MATERIAL STUFF: There has to be less physical stuff around me to make life simpler and clearer. How much of what surrounds me and my family in our home has eternal purpose?

But then a new surprising thing was revealed to me:
GOOD INTENTIONS. Good intentions of projects I want to do myself and with the children because they sound fun or would be "educational." All of these things that I feel I could or should do take up space in my thoughts and the stuff that goes along with them takes up space in my home. All of these things are good things. BUT...there are only so many hours in a day and it is not physically possible to do all of these wonderful projects in the time we are allotted in life even if I was the most organized person on the planet.

So, I asked God, "Help me discern and let go of the "good" to make space for the "great."

Let me repeat that:
Help me discern and let go of the "good" to make space for
the "Great."

That is the key! And the kicker is something that may be Great for someone else is merely good for me or my children. That is because God has created each of us with a unique purpose and a unique path He wants us to walk. God is the ONLY one who can truly give us wisdom in this area. Oh Lord be my guide! Help me to flush out the good (and even not so good) in my life and make room to be open for the VERY BEST that you have for me and my family!!!

3 comments:

janna said...

I have the same problem....
So, when you totally figure it out, Please let me know!
I set a goal for my self to clean out and throw out stuff everyday.
Today I am cleaning 3 kitchen cupboards.

((((HUGS))))
Janna

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate! Too much stuff, too many distractions! I'm going to try to have your mindset too! TFS! Great post!

amazing grace said...

very inspiring post---love that I found your blog!

Leah