Friday, August 26, 2005

Confession is good for the Soul

This morning I was wandering about BlogLand and happened upon Greta's blog discussing the author, Donald Miller. I was intrigued and followed her link to an article called The Campus Confession Booth which is an excerpt from his book, "Blue Like Jazz." I won't go into the gist of the article, but I found it an interesting approach to sharing Christ. It is definitely worth the time to read and I am intrigued enough to seek out this book for myself.

I suppose this hit home for me because, some things have been happening in our life, especially pertaining to our church that have me questioning "religion." Don't get me wrong this in no way means I am questioning my faith in Jesus. I am questioning the rituals and man-made stuff that we try to attach to our faith in Jesus that don't necessarily have anything to do with Him. Things that clutter up our relationship with Him and sadly enough, distract those who are seeking Him. I am far from walking away from organized religion, but I am seeking a way to be a part of the solution - Asking God for wisdom. Hubby and I have come to the conclusion that our church home is in dire need of a revival. For things to turn around it is going to HAVE to be a God thing. So, that is what we are asking for. I feel like God is letting our church fail in many areas to get everyone's attention and bring us around to where we should be.

It seems as though life cycles. We can be flying high and then things just seem to wind down and we hit a low. Sometimes the only thing that can get us on the path back up again is God. I see that so often in my life. I am seeking God daily and I feel like I am on the right path and things are going smoothly. Then I get too confident in myself and think a bit less about God during my day. I may not realize it, but I begin to cycle down. Next thing you know, something happens that puts me at rock bottom. (I think so many times that God does that to get my attention!) I am at the end of myself and then I begin more earnestly seeking God daily again. This process is kind of like a personal revival. We get back on our personal path with God and our spirits soar.

I feel like I am rambling today - not sure where these thought are going. Reading Greta's blog just got my mind to thinking about these things. Reminding me that no matter what, seeking God and doing what He wants me to do HAS to be a priority in my life or it is NOTHING. Praying that *I* don't get in the way of what HE is doing.

No comments: