Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Death by Chocolate


Can you tell that I am craving chocolate today? Perhaps it is because I was reading the Scrap Girls newsletter and this recipe was in there.

Death by Chocolate

*You need 1 box of your favorite brownie mix
*1 container of cool whip
*6 crushed heath bars, or you can get the pre-chopped heath bars in the chocolate chip section
*1 box of instant chocolate mousse, prepared as directed (or you can take *4 of those pre-made chocolate pudding cups and mix it with cool whip or a package of dream whip. I like this way because it is FAST and you can use the new dark chocolate pudding by Swiss Miss!)
How to prepare
Bake the brownies as directed. *Optional: When they are slightly cooled, poke holes in them with a fork and pour ½ cup of Kahlua over them (Only recommended if no children will be eating this!)
Prepare chocolate mousse.
In a large bowl (preferably glass so you can see the scrumptious layers), crumble half of the brownies.
Layer the brownies with half of the chocolate mousse.
Then sprinkle half of the crushed heath bars on the mousse (or use 1/2 cup of the pre-chopped package), then spoon half of the container of cool whip on the crumbles.
Repeat these steps, using the remaining brownies, the remaining mousse, the remaining heath bars (or 1/2 cup of the bagged kind) and then the remaining cool whip.
Refrigerate for a few hours so the tastes really blend together...

Doesn't that sound YUMMY?
I am thinking that this would be a great recipe to have in my stash. It is not fancy, but I bet it would go over really well at a get-together.

I was also talking with a friend today on the phone and asked her if she would share her cheesy potato casserole recipe with me. Now I know why it was so delicious. Let's just say it is not a low-cal recipe. I'll share it, too.

Cheesy Potato Casserole

2 lbs. Frozen cubed hash brown potatoes
1/2 med. onion, chopped
1 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
2 can of cream soup (i.e. cream of chicken, cream of mushroom, or cream of celery)
Pint of sour cream
1/3 lbs. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Mix all together and place in a greased 9" x 13" pan.
If you like, crumble a sleeve of crackers on top and drizzle melted butter over it.

Bake at 350 degrees. The original recipe says for 50-60 minutes, but my friend said that if her potatoes are still frozen, it takes closer to 90 minutes.

I am going to make this on Christmas day to take over to my in-laws.

Happy eating!

No comments: