Saturday, August 01, 2009

The Power of Herbs


A while back, I mentioned that I was learning a bit about herbs, specifically their medicinal properties. (Herbs) Yesterday, I had a perfect opportunity to put herbs to the test. As I was taking some bread out of the oven, my finger slipped off the potholder and touched my stoneware baker. Since I had been baking at 450 degrees, it was instantly a very painful burn.


What I Did:

I immediately used some of my green boo boo salve that I had made from plantain and looked up what herbs are good for treating burns that I know I have in my yard. I went outside and picked some plantain, burdock, and mullein. I washed them and tossed the leaves in my little food chopper with a couple of cloves of garlic. After chopping everything together, I placed it in a paper towel and wrapped it up like a burrito. I held this on my finger as I went about my work. Within about a half hour, the intense pain was pretty well gone. I put some more of the plantain salve on my finger and covered it with a bandaid.


The Results:

By bedtime, the swelling was gone and I was left with a white, thick-skinned spot. I was amazed because when the burn happened, the finger immediately began to swell up and blister. I figured, from past experience, I was in for a huge painful blister that would last for several days. This morning, I am sitting here typing normally using that finger. There is a very slight amount of tenderness where the burn happened and the skin is still somewhat white. I assume that as it continues to heal, the white skin will peel off, hopefully not until new skin has taken its place underneath.


I have to say that I am impressed! I was able to effectively treat a pretty bad burn in mere minutes using stuff that was growing freely in my yard. Isn't that amazing? It is just a reminder that God is such a great provider. I am so glad that my eyes have been opened to this.


I plan to continue learning about herbs because I only see benefits to doing so. I think modern medicine is wonderful, too. Both are a gift from God. I think it is a good thing to have the knowledge to be able to treat simple problems at home and I am quickly becoming convinced that herbs are a good way to do this. With the changes in health care that seem to be on the horizon, having knowledge of medicinal herbs may prove to be even more beneficial in the near future, but only time will tell.
Photo source: By pat61nl from stock.xchange

No comments: