Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Exciting News

My oldest daughter just got her Learner's Permit and is signed up for driving school! How did this happen? How did she go overnight from being a little girl in frilly dresses to a grown-up, driving teenager? I suppose for others it all seems right, but for me, I feel like I just blinked my eyes.

Now, I have full confidence in my daughter that she will be a responsible driver. I trust her. Even still, this is just one step in letting loose the reins of control. As parents, it is our job to teach our children independence and slowly nudge out of the nest on their own, but I would be lying if I didn't admit that a part of me finds this very hard. Part of me would love to keep her perpetually a little girl. Of course, a bigger part of me adores the young woman that she is becoming. I enjoy being able to hold real, thoughtful adult conversations with her and I appreciate and value her opinions and thoughts.

So, although a part of me mourns the passing of my daughter's childhood, I am excited to welcome my daughter into adulthood. This is just another step on this journey of parenthood - and what a journey it is!

No comments: