Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Just Checking In

Sorry, I have been pretty absent from the computer lately and haven't checked in here. We are still alive and kicking. There is always plenty to keep us busy around our home.

Some of the things I am working on:

Breadmaking. I have become a baker. I never would have thought I could because I have made more loaves of brick bread over the course of my lifetime than I would care to admit. For the past several months, I have been honing my breadmaking skills and have adopted it as part of my daily routine. I could go on and on about this, but I will save it for another day. (Actually, I think I feel a scrapbook page coming on about this ;-)

Making bread has brought about a desire for more simple, healthy eating. I am not sure exactly where I am going to go with this. I want to move towards fewer processed ingredients, perhaps more organic and local ingredients. Of course, this means more cooking from scratch which takes time and planning. I think a lot of it is just a change in attitude and mindset. I am reading this book and it has make me think more about what we are eating, what is in it and where it comes from.

I am also reading up on how to make cheese. According to this site, you can make mozzerella cheese in only 30 minutes. Sounds fun!

I am also working on frugality and less clutter. The expenses for a family of 7 are not cheap and I am trying hard to give us more positive cash flow. Anywhere I can realistically cut, I am cutting. I am inspired by this woman who plans to take a year away from shopping and only buy needs and NO wants. I have been thinking more about each of my purchases, even my groceries. I have been postponing my grocery shopping and therefore forcing myself creatively use what's in my pantry. Of course, today I am sitting here with no milk, fresh produce, meat, eggs and many other things that we normally consume each day. I think I am going to have to break down and go. I do, however, have homemade bread. ;-)

This week, my daughters unearthed my guitar. I haven't played it in years. They want to learn to play, especially my oldest. Wow, am I ever out of practice and I soon became painfully (yea, I mean that literally) aware that I have NO callus on my fingers. So, my daughter and I are plucking away a bit each day trying to build up our fingers and learn/relearn how to play.

Those are the highlights of our recents adventures. Surprisingly, scrapbooking hasn't happened in weeks which is really strange for me. I probably won't be able to go too much longer without having a scrap-attack, though. Oh, that reminds me, I forgot to mention one of our big highlights...we bought a new computer. It is awesome! Once I have a chance, I will install Photoshop on it and it will become my primary computer and the old one will be more the kids'. There are currently 6 people in this house fighting for computer time (before we know it, Rachel will figure out she is missing something and it will be 7 people). Adding a second computer has been wonderful! I plan on utilizing it for more school assignments and research now.

Well, I have babbled enough for now and the household chores are calling.
Have a great day!

No comments: