Saturday, December 20, 2008

Thankfulness

Yesterday morning we awoke to a world that had been crystallized with ice. Freezing rain had fallen all through the night and left an inch thick layer of ice on everything. As lovely as it looked, it was also pretty devastating to trees and power lines. At 6am our power went out due to a downed power line up the road. Electricity is one of those things that you take for granted until it is gone. For our household it means not only no lights and appliances, but also no heat and no water because we rely on a well with an electric pump.

Within a few short hours our home's temperature had settled to a chilly 57 degrees and I was worried we would be frozen out before power was restored. With over 150,000 homes in our area out of electricity, the power company was estimating ours would be restored by 1pm on SUNDAY. We are actually sitting pretty well. We have a generator so we can periodically run it to get some water and a bit of heat. As inconvenienced and uncomfortable as we were, I couldn't help but think how much worse it could have been. We used to live in a drafty, uninsulated, old farmhouse. I kept thinking how awful that would be. We had an adequate supply of food, water and shelter to get by. God was providing, even though it wasn't smooth sailing.

Thankfully, there was a crew out last night to fix the line and we now have power! I can't tell you the gratitude that I feel. There is nothing like doing without for just a little while to make you appreciate the things that you have. I am so thankful to be sitting in my warm home with my hot coffee in front of my computer at this moment. I say a prayer for all of those who are still struggling without power.

The other day I wrote about struggling through Christmas. I really feel like God is teaching me and growing me through all of this. Just when I feel like things are starting to take a turn for the better, some new difficulty presents itself. I keep finding myself saying, "It just is what it is." Things have been tough lately for no definitive reason and there is no use sitting around belly-aching about it. All we can do is the best we can do and rely on God for the rest. Deep in my heart I know that He is watching over us and we are still in His tender care. He has opened my eyes to how much we have to be thankful for. So, I guess I have to say that there are blessings hidden amidst the trials and I am so thankful for that.

No comments: