Sunday, November 09, 2008

Thankfulness


I think I have shared that finances have been becoming tight around here. I have been trying really hard to pinch every penny and make every dollar stretch. Sometimes that can make you feel a bit discouraged. Then God opens your eyes. Yes there are those who have more, much more, BUT there are many more who have oh so much less. Mere existence is a daily struggle.


I have been reading with interest some blogs that are part of a project by Compassion International. In an effort to let others see first hand what they do, they sent a handful of bloggers to the Dominican Republic to give them a tour and let them write about it. Check out some of the blogs and their photos. They really bring it home. As I sit in my nice, cozy home with my pantry full of food and plenty of clothing for my children, I can't help but feel blessed. This blessing is from God alone. It is only by His grace that I am a mom sitting here in the U.S. with my needs met and not a mom sitting in this shack (see photo) scrounging for a meager existence.


God has also been opening my eyes to the struggles of those right here. There are those that are fighting to get by in my own town. They can't seem to find a job and are out of money and a about out of hope, as well.


Although my own struggles are real, they pale in comparison. My heart is filed with gratitude for what I do have. I have been blessed by a loving husband, 5 (and 1/2) beautiful, healthy children, a roof over my head, and plenty of life's necessities. I lift up humble hands to God in Thanksgiving for that. I also ask Him to open my eyes and give me His heart and show me how I can make a difference in His name.

No comments: