Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Making Time

It sure has been quiet on the blog front here hasn't it?  I am trying very hard to be more disciplined with my time and follow a particular routine/schedule for my days.  The time in my day that I have allotted for blogging is in the early morning before my children rise.  During that time I also get completely dressed and ready for the day, make hubby's lunch, and have my quiet time with God.  These things take priority over blogging so if I don't get up as early as I would like, guess what falls by the wayside?  Yup, the blog.  And guess how is having difficulty getting up early?  Yup, that would be me!  I am working on this.  I am determined to do better. 

On a positive note, the new routine has been working pretty well for us.  (That is, when I actually stick to it.  Oh Discipline, I pray for you daily!)

DAILY SCHEDULE
  • 5:00-6:00am:  Get up.
  • Until 8:00am:  Get completely dressed and ready for the day, make coffee, make hubby's lunch, bible study, prayer, e-mail, facebook, blogging.
  • 8:00-8:30am:  Wake kids (if necessary), help them complete their upstairs tasks, laundry.
  • 8:30-9:00am:  Breakfast, family devotion, memory verses
  • 9:00-:9:30am:  Mom's office time, Kids chore time
  • 9:30am-12:00pm:  Academics
  • 12:00-12:30pm:  Lunch
  • 12:30-3:00pm:  Project time
  • 3:00-3:30pm:  Tea time
  • 3:30-4:30pm:  Quiet reading hour, Mom's office time
  • 4:30-5:30pm:  Pick up house and make dinner
  • 5:30-6:00pm:  Dinner
  • 6:00-8:30pm:  Family time/Outside activities
  • 8:30-9:00pm:  Younger kids bedtime
  • 9:00-10:30ish pm:  Free time with older kids
  • 10:30pm (approx.):  Bedtime!
Of course, this varies depending on outside activities for the day, but this is the basic framework that I am trying to maintain. Theere are several new things on this schedule that are working out very well:
  1. Earlier mealtimes than we had before.
  2. "office times" both early and late in the day for me to officially make/return non-personal phone calls, do paperwork, pay bills, etc.
  3. Tea time which acts as a benchmark in the day and a little snack time for the kids.  We have been reading poetry during this time.
  4. Quiet reading hour for my younger children.  This gives me a quiet hour to be productive AND I have seen a big boost in reading interest and skills since we started this, especially with my 8 year old son.
That all being said...I gotta go.  It's time for me to go motivate my kiddos!

No comments: