Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Praise for AllRecipes.com


As I mentioned in my earlier post, it is my daughter's birthday. The tradition in our home is that the birthday child gets a special birthday breakfast in bed. Last night as I was brainstorming what that would be and remembered that I had homemade cinnamon rolls in the freezer that I made around Christmas. I pulled out a pan to thaw and planned to bake them and whip up some icing in the morning. Well, this morning I put the rolls in the oven, opened my cabinet only to find there was NO POWDER SUGAR in the house. It's kinda hard to make icing without it. So, I didn't panic, but instead went to my trusty computer and visited my favorite recipe site: http://www.allrecipes.com/. I did an advanced search for icing specifying that I didn't want powdered sugar as an ingredient. I came up with this delicious Brown Sugar Sauce. (For the record, I left out the brandy. I figured I didn't need to get the kids sloshed first thing in the morning ;-) It was perfect on the rolls.


This is not the first time AllRecipes has helped me like this. I just recently came up with two great granola recipes that contain no nuts. Nutless and peanutbutterless granola recipes are hard to come by but are a neccesity in our house because of my son's allergies. I came up with two keepers that I can use to replace our store-bought bars and cereal. Yay! If you always pick well reviewed recipes, you will almost always have a winner.


In case you are interested, here are the granola recipes:




And here is the recipe I used for the Cinnamon Rolls compliments of the Pioneer Woman Cooks.

No comments: